The University Grants Commission (UGC) has launched a scheme on skills development based higher education as part of college/university education, leading to Bachelor of Vocation (B.Voc.) Degree with multiple exits such as Diploma/Advanced Diploma under the NSQF. The B.Voc. programme is focused on universities and colleges providing undergraduate studies which would also incorporate specific job roles and their NOSs along with broad based general education. This would enable the graduates completing B.Voc. to make a meaningful participation in accelerating India’s economy by gaining appropriate employment, becoming entrepreneurs and creating appropriate knowledge.
In December 2011, Tata Institute of Social Sciences set up the School of Vocational Education (SVE) to provide immediate and definite interventions to improve the lives of the disadvantaged and marginalized youth, especially who are excluded by the formal school education system, through appropriate vocational training programmes. It has been set up with a vision of creating an ecosystem that would bring back the dignity of labour for blue collar streams of work and create sustainable sources of income. This project has been initiated under the aegis of All India Council for TechnicalEducation (AICTE) proposed by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
- To provide judicious mix of skills relating to a profession and appropriate content of General Education.
- To ensure that the students have adequate knowledge and skills, so that they are work ready at each exit point of the programme.
- To provide flexibility to the students by means of pre-defined entry and multiple exit points.
- To integrate NSQF within the undergraduate level of higher education in order to enhance employability of the graduates and meet industry requirements. Such graduates apart from meeting the needs of local and national industry are also expected to be equipped to become part of the global workforce.
- To provide vertical mobility to students coming out of 10+2 with vocational subjects.
- The certification levels will lead to Diploma/Advanced Diploma/B. Voc. Degree and will be offered under the aegis of the TISS. This is out-lined in the Table below.
|Award||Duration||Corresponding NSQF level|
|Advanced Diploma||2 Year||6|
|B.Voc. Degree||3 Year||7|
The approach adopted by TISS-SVE is called the Work Integrated Training programme (WITP). This Vocational Educational Programme is being implemented for the first time in India with a focus on job-specific skills rather than providing only a broad based education. The aim is to enable the students to learn the skill by engaging in on-the-job training in industry/company along with classroom theoretical training.
Eligibility for Admission
The eligibility condition for admission to B.Voc. programme in Travel & Tourism shall be 10+2 or equivalent.
The Vocational course is a three year program consists a combination of Practical, Theory and Generic (provided by TISS) courses. The three year program will be divided into 6 semesters; 2 semesters per year. 1st year will be a Diploma, 2nd year will be Advance Diploma & 3rd year will be a Degree.
The program is a work integrated training which include on-the-job training (practical). The courses also include generic module for overall development of the candidate.
The assessment will be done by the TISS as per the prevailing standards and procedures. TISS will establish a credit based assessment and evaluation system for the B.Voc. programme.
Duration of Course: 45 days (240 hours)